From: Andy Worth [mailto:gmacworth@aol.com]
Sent: 19 February 2020 13:50
To: Mark Rowan <mrowan@efl.com>; John Nagle <JNagle@efl.com>
Subject: A request for a further face to face meeting with the Silkmen Supporters Trust

Dear Mark & John.

I write to you in my role as the Chairperson of the Silkmen Supporters Trust (SST).  We are of course aware that Macclesfield Town Football Club (MTFC) has appealed the six points deduction handed out in December 2019 regarding non payment of wages and failure to fulfil a fixture with Crewe Alexandra, and that MTFC have been further charged with misconduct in relation to having the game against Plymouth Argyle on 21st December 2019 postponed as a consequence of having received a ‘zero capacity notice’  by the local Safety Advisory Group.

We completely understand the importance of confidentiality whilst appeals / misconduct charges are heard. However, I am sure that you will both recognise and understand the significant angst of our supporters, who are of the understanding that MTFC had no legal representation at the last hearing which would clearly have placed the club at great disadvantage during the proceedings.  Silkmen supporters have received scant information since this time leaving them feeling ‘like mushrooms left in the dark’ and are very concerned not only with regards to our future tenure in the English Football League (EFL) which we are intensely proud of;  but indeed regarding our long term future as a small football club with an illustrious history that has significant prestige within the local community in and around Macclesfield.

We recognise that the SST has no ‘locus standi’ and so cannot effectively be directly involved in any hearing, but are most willing to provide any support that we can to help to resolve  these matters both professionally and amicably.  We would be most pleased for my fellow SST board members John Abbott, Robert Wilson & I to discuss issues of concern to us in the same open and professional manner as they were when we last met in December 2019, and I would like to take this opportunity to advise you that we the SST have formally instructed a solicitor to help us to look after our position. The contact details for our nominated solicitor are highlighted below.

As a consequence of the email my fellow SST board member Richard Pattrick and I spoke with Mark Rowan (Communications’ Director for the EFL) and Andy  Andrew Pomfret (Supporter Services Manager for the EFL) in a conference call last Monday afternoon. Whilst clearly recognising the parameters of confidentiality the context of our discussion is highlighted below:

  • There is NO clear timeframe at this time for when the appeal against the points deduction which will then be followed by the disciplinary proceedings regarding the failure to fulfil the fixture against Plymouth Argyle on 21st December 2019.  All we were told is that they will be held in the next few weeks with no clarification of date / time provided.  We did highlight our concerns that we are effectively 9-10 weeks away from the end of the season but it was made clear  to us that this is not the EFL “procrastinating” but there are issues in relation to the formation of an independent committee which can take some time to set up.

  • Mark indicated that he would look to send us the guidance about the rules surrounding disciplinary commissions within the next 24-48 hours. We were advised that this committee would be most likely to have an independent chair with a prosecuting / defence counsel. There was an acknowledgment that precedent during the relevant hearings which would incorporate the plethora of difficult decisions faced. Bolton were cited as a potential precedent

  • We were advised by Mark that he is of the understanding that there will be legal representation for the ‘club’ at the forthcoming appeal. We intimated that the SST could help to facilitate representation from several fan friendly solicitors should this be required.

  • Mark intimated that he is aware that there has been regular exchanges of dialogue between Amar AlKadhi & EFL .

  • Mark is not aware of any progress regarding the pending sale of the football club, but has agreed to find out if there has been any further update with regards to progress on a future change in ownership within the next 24-48 hours.

  • Mark could not provide a contemporary update regarding the solidarity fund, but will however look into this and provide feedback as soon as practicable within the parameters of confidentiality .

  • Mark is happy for a further face to face meeting (as with Rob Wilson and John Abbott in December 2019) with regards to the more generic concerns affecting the club currently and will send dates of availability.

  • Mark indicated that there has been a review of the governance of the EFL but that this is primarily in relation to board composition and setting up of committees. There has also been a review of the Bury situation which it is believed will help future discussions regarding financial controls / sustainability work around the EFL.

  1. The SST have coordinated arrangements for voting for the the Player of the Year award.  A number of voting slips / voting boxes will be situated around the ground from  this Saturday’s game against Salford City and people can vote this way until the end of the game against Stevenage Boro on Monday 17th April 2020. There will aslo be an online vote which can be accessed via the following link which is poty.mtfc@yahoo.co.uk

  2. A number of members of the SST board with the assistance of a number of volunteers within the ranks of Silkmen supporters are in the process of arranging a Player of the Year Awards evening in the McIlroy Suite on Saturday 25th April 2020. In spite of tremendous adversity this season, the endeavour and commitment to the Silkmen cause of the playing staff has been phenomenal. As a consequence, it would be brilliant to honour them with a great evening in a packed McIlroy Suite to recognise their fabulous efforts. Further details on this will soon be available on the official website, Wraggs to Riches, and the Star Lane End Facebook site so please keep your eyes peeled for further update

  3. The SST are involved in developing plans for a Soccer Sixes competition for children of primary school age from the local area at the Moss Rose, and further details will be available in the near future.

  4. The SST are aware of recent media speculation regarding further late payment of wages for February 2020 for the incredible playing and non playing staff of Macclesfield Town Football Club. The SST are deeply empathic to those who are likely to suffer the devastating effects of persistently late payments, and I can provide assurances that the hardship fund (with a latest figure of £14444) will remain in situ for as long as it is needed. For those who feel that they would still like to contribute, please see the following details:
    Reference - Silkmen Hardship Fund
    Bank Account Transfer
    Coop Bank
    Sort Code 08-92-99
    Account number 65202513

  5. The SST can only get better with you our fabulous fan base behind us. There are so many ways to support us whether it is through membership, joining the Super Silk Lotto,  Silk Pledge and Easy Fundraising, and for further information please visit our website at www.sstrust.uk

#ourtownourclub

Andy Worth

Chairperson of the Silkmen Supporters Trust

23rd January 2020

Super Silk Lotto Announcement

The Super Silk Lotto are delighted to announce that from the draw on 7th February 2020 onwards, all proceeds from this lottery will now be distributed to the Silkmen Supporters Trust (SST).

The lottery will remain the same in all other aspects, still giving you the chance to win £100 every week for only a £1 stake.

The commitment to the community will also remain strong, with a percentage of the yearly proceeds supporting a local community group or charity.  Previous partners who have benefitted include David Lewis, Ollie’s Army, Space4Autism, Silklife Foodbank and Phase Onbe Training, which is the charity arm of Canalside Radio.

Whilst proceeds will no longer go directly to Macclesfield Town FC (MTFC), the SST is run for the majority benefit of MTFC and will continue to provide funds with supporters interests at heart. This change makes payments simpler and makes it easier for fans to have a say on where the proceeds go.

Since inception in November 2014, the Super Silk Lotto has gained over 300 entries, paid out over £25,000 in prizes and raised over £32,000 for Macclesfield Town FC.  The more members we have, the more money we can raise for our beloved Silkmen and for the local community.

For information on how to join the Super Silk Lotto please visit https://www.sstrust.uk/fundraising/super-silk-lotto/ or if you have any queries, email supersilklotto@gmail.com.

Robert, Andy & Marie

Super Silk Lotto Management Team

20th January 2020

Dear all

The Silkmen Supporters Trust (SST) were heartened by the news at the recent High Court Hearing on Wednesday 15th January 2020 that the winding up order was adjourned once again; and this time for 10 weeks, following the revelation in court that Macclesfield Town majority shareholder Amar AlKadhi had agreed to the sale of the football club, with proof of funds demonstrated.

However we were less encouraged by the subsequent press release by Mr. AlKadhi who spoke of how he would like to progress the sale of Macclesfield Town FC in ‘a timely manner’ and that that he would ‘work tirelessly’ until a sale is complete.

We the SST have held regular dialogue with two of the potential bidders, and recent communications with them since the High Court hearing would appear to be in direct contrast with Mr. AlKadhi’s statement; thus fuelling our concerns of delaying tactics by Mr. AlKadhi to ensure a prolonged extension of the winding up order.

Whilst we are aware that a Non-Disclosure Agreement was made with at least one of the potential bidders, it would be most helpful to know if Mr. AlKadhi has made any direct contact with the English Football League (EFL) regarding the sale of the football club; and if he has shown proof of the offer that has been made.

As a consequence, we have emailed the EFL in an attempt to clarify if this is indeed the case and look forward to a prompt response from them.

In view of the information earlier this afternoon regarding a further misconduct charge (as a consequence of the non fulfilment of the Plymouth Argyle fixture in December) we would urge Mr. AlKadhi to conclude the takeover deal as soon as possible. This would allow the opportunity for Mark Kennedy, Danny Whitaker & Danny Butterfield to bring in reinforcements to strengthen the squad like many clubs around us have already done in this transfer window, and provide us with the best possible opportunity to remain one of the elite 92 clubs in English football.

I would like to take this opportunity to offer a sincere debt of gratitude to SST board member Richard Pattrick, who gave of his time and effort to provide some eyes and ears on behalf of Silkmen fans everywhere during the High Court hearing earlier this week. Please be assured that is the intention of the SST to ensure to employ a similar approach at the next High Court hearing on Wednesday 25th March 2020.

#OUR TOWN#OUR CLUB

Andy Worth

Chairperson of the Silkmen Supporters Trust

15th January 2020

This morning the SST had an observer in court 1, Rolls Building London. The Judge was ICC Judge Mullen.

The case was adjourned for 10 weeks as it was uncontested by HMRC. The reason given was that there had been several offers for the club. One has been accepted and there is proof of funds. The sale of the shares has still to be finalised.

We are looking forward to hearing from Mr Alkhadi very quickly on the prospective completion date of the sale.

9th January 2020

Silkmen Supporters Trust Crowdfunder Update

An additional route has now been set up for donations – Crowdfunder. It is still more cost effective ( no charges) and easier to access funds quickly by using the bank transfer details ( as per below).

  • Reference - Silkmen Hardship Fund
  • Bank Account Transfer
  • Coop Bank
  • Sort Code 08-92-99
  • Account number 65202513

However, for those who would prefer to use Crowdfunder please do so using the following the link below.

http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/silkmen-hardship-fund

At Present the fund stands at :-

          Current donations to the SST Hardship fund           £13,011.00

          New Crowdfunder Page donations                            £     556.00

          Total Fund                                                                      £13,567.00

7th January 2020

The SST is delighted to welcome three new members to the Board as a result of the recent Annual General Meeting.

The new Board members are:-

Mr. Rob Wilson who has taken up the position of Secretary

Mr Patrick Birch, Mr Bryan Brown,, Mr Michael Clark, Mrs Caroline Harrop, and

Mr Jon Mail have become Board Members..

We look forward to their contributions to the Silkmen Supporters Trust.

4th January 2020

Dear all

The Silkmen Supporters Trust (SST) board were deeply saddened by the recent news of the resignations of Daryl McMahon and Steve Gritt, and I am sure that I speak for the overwhelming majority of Silkmen fans in wishing both Daryl and Steve all the very best for the future wherever this may take them, and with an assurance that they will always a very warm welcome should they ever return to the Moss Rose.

Both Daryl and Steve (alongside Silkmen legend Danny Whitaker) have consistently demonstrated incredible professionalism and integrity throughout their time at the helm of our beloved club despite a wholly preventable yet appalling plethora of off the field circumstances, the most recent of which was the last minute cancellations by Mr. AlKadhi of travel and match preparations for the recent away fixtures against Forest Green Rovers and Port Vale.

It is also our understanding that despite recent media comments that all playing staff, player management and non-playing staff of Macclesfield Town Football Club had been paid in full and on time, that this was not the case. As a consequence, it appears apparent to we; the SST board, that Mr. AlKadhi no longer possesses the resources, financial acumen or integrity to support the club in the long term. We are of the belief that Mr. AlKadhi’s tenure at Macclesfield Town is now at an end, and selling the club as soon as practicable is the only viable option.

The SST board have been in regular contact with two very interested parties in recent weeks in fervent attempts to help broker a deal that will safeguard the future of our club. I am sure you can appreciate, they have not found Mr. AlKadhi particularly helpful, and concerns have been expressed that during January 2020, that Mr. AlKadhi will sell our most saleable assets in terms of players; keep for himself the solidarity payment from the English Premier League of around £225,000,and leave our beloved club high and dry and with little chance of any long term future.

The SST board have made contact with the English Premier League, English Football League (EFL) and the Professional Footballers Association (PFA) in an attempt to ensure that any incoming monies are available only for the benefit of Macclesfield Town Football Club, and are not channelled elsewhere. A copy of the email sent to Richard Masters; Chief Executive of the English Premier League is highlighted below: